New Guy from MN

Blinkgold311

Hello All,
Looking forward to picking up a lot of good tips from this forum. Got a new FZ8, 2012 about two weeks ago and have been racking up the miles. So far, i have a couple of complaints and hoping you can direct me to the correct threads:
1) The factory seat sucks. Way too hard. I do some longer rides for work and I can only tolerate about half an hour.
2) No helmet lock - any aftermarket products you guys recommend?
3) I'm a taller rider, so the windstream over the front fairing directs all of the bugs directly to my visor. Any solutions?
Any and all help appreciated. Other than these three things, and maybe the gearing, I absolutely love the bike and don't think you can get a better value right now. Thanks in advance!!

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Hello & Welcome! Sorry to hear you dont like the seat I done think it's to bad.
I would also like to hear suggestions for a helmet lock.

Darknite

Sad to say I don't have fixes for you, but glad to see you here and riding a great bike!

I'm researching a seat myself and will let you know if I find a winner!

lyric911

The Corbin seat is dramatically better than stock, IMO. There have been some fitment issues, though.

Sschwar4

Welcome!

Carry the helmet, you never know what someone will put in it, plus the sun and heat will kill it over time. A friend found an eaten cup of ice cream in his one time,upside down.

Give the seat some time, I don't think they have quite perfected a replacement yet that does not need modifying.

There are some good write ups on the wind screens on the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

Camo

I put about 2000 km's on my seat before it was pliant enough. It does break in, just give it time.
Can't help with the helmet lock I'm afraid, I tend to think along the same lines as Sschwar4. I don't trust people. Even at work I take it inside and put it out of harms way.
As for your height/bugs issue, are you riding the naked or the faired version? There are quiet a few options for both... I think Imposter rides the faired version with an upgraded screen and Blackwidow has just found a good solution for the naked guys looking for a bit of wind protection.
Checkout some of the threads by using the search feature maybe?
And welcome :)

TeleRob

Welcome aboard!

The Corbin seat is a lot better. I was in the same boat as you, couldn't stand 30 minutes but I thought the seat was too soft. The Corbin is harder but shaped and the vibration doesn't come thru.

I grew up in MN, so better get a windshield before too many bloody skeeters kamikaze on your face shield.

H

Hoover

I have a cover with a little extra padding that makes the seat just fine for me, even on 300 milers. See my posts in the mods section.
Never used a helmet lock, always take mine with me. If I can't see it, how do I know it is not getting taken care of.
Windshield: again, just go back through the previous posts.
Enjoy the ride, it is without doubt the best value on the market.