New bike - most common/useful mods?

JDZIII

Dave Moss

Hi John,

Heres what Dave Moss of Catalyst Reaction told me. And if you dont know him, go on youtube and check him out. The stock suspension is not good for me cause I'm a pretty big guy. Also, those that have the adjustability will know the difference is night and day.

Thanks for the kind words! There are many paths you can take and it all relates to $$, so in this order:

1. piston kit to replace the stock compression and rebound pistons, springs if needed. $650 approx

2. Replacement fork cartridges complete $1,400

3. Rear shock replacement $800 on up.

GP Suspension, Ohlins, K-Tech, Nitron - take your pick based on pricing for fork kits and shock

There's a free Dave Moss Tuning iPhone App now too :)

Best regards

MotoZen

You can do many suspension upgrades for much cheaper than that list, especially if you can do a bit of wrenching yourself. Look into Racetech as well to upgrade your stock stuff for a lot less money. For the rear, you can also fit a used FZ1 or R1 shock. The R1 shock needs an adapter to correct the geometry of the bike, but you can replace the rear shock with something that's more than adequate for most riders for under $200. Race tech also has a calculator on their site to help you replace your stock springs with ones to match your weight.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

JDZIII

You can do many suspension upgrades for much cheaper than that list, especially if you can do a bit of wrenching yourself. Look into Racetech as well to upgrade your stock stuff for a lot less money. For the rear, you can also fit a used FZ1 or R1 shock. The R1 shock needs an adapter to correct the geometry of the bike, but you can replace the rear shock with something that's more than adequate for most riders for under $200. Race tech also has a calculator on their site to help you replace your stock springs with ones to match your weight.

I have to agree with motozen. Those are just rough estimates. Right now it seems the best prices I can find come from fastbikes cartridge kits and nitrons rear suspension. when i have the money im gonna set up a group buy thread for both and contact fastbike and nitron usa to see if we cant get a good deal. I know nitron just opened a US shop so I'm sure we can get angood deal considering thier looking for foothold in the US.

If anyone else has anything better I'd like to hear from ya. I'm looking for a good deal as these are expensive pieces of hardware.

atrinh

You also have a nice gytr radiator cover;)

Check out Corbin seats out of hollister...they mold your ass and then make the seat...super comfortable...and you can ride there and not deal with shipping
by any chance do you have their address or shop name? i have searched but couldnt find any...

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...

There is another member who's making different shock arms now. Might be worth checking out.....

OdinSon

I'll upload some pics today hopefully.

The stock suspension works fine for me but I also live in NH where the roads are rife with potholes, frost heaves, and patches of sand everywhere this time of year. The soft forgiving suspension of the FZ8 is not only a good thing but it also might have saved my ass on some of those crazier bumps.

I have a Corbin seat myself, it's nice but I'm not sure if I'll keep it or go back to stock and look for another option. I may put it up for sale soon so keep an eye out for it (because whenever something goes for sale around it here its gone almost immediately).

OdinSon

Tix

Thank you!

Yeah, heated grips are a must in New England.

I know what you mean. I grew up in CT.

Sad thing is I bought the grips when it was ~30F in the morning. But I ended up installing them just in time for 60-70s F in the AM. :rolleyes:

MotoZen

I know what you mean. I grew up in CT.

Sad thing is I bought the grips when it was ~30F in the morning. But I ended up installing them just in time for 60-70s F in the AM. :rolleyes:

I just put my heated grips on the other day. They work great for the early morning commute, but I don't like how hard the grips are.