LED signals weirdness

Shleeve

So I got some flush mount LED flashers for the front, install went fine, they worked well. I just got done installing my fender eliminator/LED's for the back of the bike, and now that I installed them, my front ones no longer blink.
They light up with the key turned on, but when I press a direction the back ones flash and the front ones just turn off until I cancel the signal and then they go back on to running light mode. I can't figure it out :/

hypo

you got a meter?

Since you're using LED's it throws off the voltage. On my shadow, when I put LED's on the rear, I had to go to autozone to get a 2 dollar flasher relay and stick it in line to make sure that everything blinked properly and at the right speed. I haven't picked up my FZ8, but when I do, I'll take a look at the wiring and see if there's a flasher unit in there.

You may have to do that. lemme dig up the wiring config I used and post it.

here's the link that I used for my LED's... scroll down through the instructions to the flasher unit.

http://www.cdhughes.net/ledbikelights/

Correcting the fast flash

If you want to correct the fast blink rate, you can find a 2 pole electronic flasher relay at an auto parts store for less than 20 dollars.

This is what the factory relay looks like. It has 3 wires coming out. The Black w/ brown stripe is for the power (battery). The Gray wire is to the lights (load) and the green wire is for the ground. Cut the relay off and heat shrink the green wire, it is not used.

The new relay will have 2 poles. One will be labeled �L� and one will be either� �X or �B� depending on the brand. They both have the same function so it doesn�t matter what it says. The gray wire from the factory harness will go to the �L� terminal. Use a female spade connector to attach it. The Black/ brown wire will go to the other terminal.

here's the flasher unit from the Shadow:

Last edited:

Shleeve

Trix: they worked as both, which is odd because I thought I read that leds wouldn't work as running lights. Now they work as running lights only and turn off when I blink, but the rear ones work perfectly.
The other weird thing is up front there are 3 wires for each signal and my LEDs have 2 each, the way I had them plugged before they worked but were kinda dim, I just changed the way they were plugged in around and they were way brighter but still didn't blink.
I'm not too concerned with fixing the blink rate, but I'm thinking I may need a relay to fix the voltage, like theyre not getting enough power or something.

hypo

so USUALLY, the front turn signals are run/turn lights... so they are low voltage with no load (running lights) and then high voltage with power switched to them (turn signals). I don't remember if my lights used to ground out to the chassis or not or how the switching worked, so what you should do is take the BACK lights OFF (disconnect them at the wiring nest) and test just the fronts, and then test just the rears) if both of them work when they aren't ALL on there, then they are interfering with each other and you'll need to get a relay like you said.

lothodon

Super Moderator
12v is 12v. your front led's should not operate as running lights unless you wire them that way. three wires to feed the stock blinkers, 12v for running, 12v for blinker, and a ground.

unless you have led blinkers with dual 'filaments' you should be using them as blinkers only wired to the 12v turn and ground. cap off the 12v running light wire.

you shouldn't need a relay unless the fast blinking bothers you and that's not a relay it's a delay switch more than anything. a relay is a low voltage switch that controls a higher voltage line or a low amperage switch that controls a higher amperage circuit depending on use.

if your getting running lights AND turn signal activity out of your front blinkers your probably not wired right, i'd lean toward you using both 12v feeds which is probably what's really messing with your rear blinkers because you have a floating ground.

if anyone cares, i have a degree in laser electro-optics and quite a bit of electronic knowledge.

Last edited:

hypo

great clarification L.

and now that I think about it, my front signals on my shadow were regular bulbs, only my rear lights were LED, and thats what was messing up my wiring diagram in my head.

Shleeve

Thanks for the replies. Here's where I'm at. I just picked up a new relay and installed it which corrected my flash rate and did bring function back to my front ones blinking, however, now my rear blink depending on which direction I press(left/right), but at the same time, both of the front blinkers will flash at the same time. And they are still coming on as running lights.

Also, my front blinkers are still dimly lit when they're wired correctly, and when I put the blinker wire in the running connector, it is 2-3x as bright but doesn't function as a blinker. I'm so confused.. I'm starting to think it's the blinkers I got?

Here's the ones I'm using:
2005 FZ1 LED Flush Mount Turn Signal Yamaha FZ 1 Clear | eBay

EDIT: Turns out I did have the wiring wrong, I got it all working now :) Thanks all, I will have pics up soon!

Last edited:

hypo

glad you caught that, because the next thing I was gonna have you check was the chair-keyboard interface. ;)

looking good shleeve ... liken the round bar end mirrors !! signals look good!!

i had some troubles with my tail lights also turned out i just had it wired wrong who would of thought good thing we aren't electricians!! lol