HOW-TO: Install BKMOTO FZ8 FZ6R HID BiXenon projectors with angel/demon eye

borka

This post will show all the steps required to properly install bkmoto.com HID projector headlight kit into the 2008+ Yamaha FZ8 FZ8-N

This kit will also work on the FZ6R, as the headlight is the same as the FZ8.

More information on this kit can be found on www.bkmoto.com

The kit will come with everything that you need to install the projectors, including all neccesary H7 adapters and H7 plugs which will plug into your OEM headlight plugs.

You will have HID low beam, and high beam, with super bright HID's and a halo

This project should take about 4-5 hours.

Lets start!

Remove the windscreen

Remove the side covers

Remove the headlight
The headlight is held with 4 bolts, 2 on the bottom sides and two at the top

Remove rear rubber boot, light bulb, and bulb holder.

Now, you will need to open your headlight.
To do this you will need to heat up the glue that holds the headlight together.
You have 2 choices, Either use the oven or buy a cheap heat gun (about $25 at any hardware store)

Heat gun Method:
Turn on the heat gun on high setting, hold the heat gun about 8" away from the seam and work your way around the headlight seam slowly for a few rounds.

Oven Method:
Preheat the oven to 225F degrees, place the headlight on a towel and into the center of the oven.
Bake the headlight for 8 minutes at 225F degrees, then remove the headlight.

Once headlight is hot, start to open it using flat head screw drivers, carefully open the little tabs that lock the headlight together and pry the headlight open.
If you are struggling, then the glue is not hot enough, as it should be fairly easy to open once the glue is hot.
You might need to reheat the headlight a few times untill the lens is off.

Remove the 3 small screws that hold the bezel in place

Last edited:

borka

We are now ready to mount the projector.
Remove all hardware from the projector, except the silicone washer.

You will need to modify the H4 adapter plate slightly, and shave off the orientation tab. You can thank Yamaha for that, as they designed the headlight with the whole H4 base slightly skewed to the right, so if mounting the projector the light will be slanted to the right. By shaving this off, you will be able to simply rotate the projector until the light is horizontal and then tighten the rear nut.

You need to remove the hi/low beam black plug to fish the wires through the H4 base and the dust cap rubber grommet.
The red/black wires will have the plug on them, which is easy to remove, you will need to use a pin or a very small screw driver to collapse 2 little flaps on the inside of the plug.
Take a look at the picture below, these are the two little wings you need to press in, in order to remove the wires from the plugs.

Insert projector into the light bulb socket.
The bottom of the projector is the little black motor that controls the hi/low beam flap, make sure that motor is at the bottom.

Fish the wires through the little hole on the side

put the H4 adapter plate

Put the rear nut and tighten by hand, don't make it too tight as you will need to fire up the projector and rotate the projector until the light is horizontal. Then you will tighten the rear nut.

Now you need to fire up the projector and align by turning the projector untill the light is completely horizontal.
you can either do this while holding the headlight straight and hold the headlight by hand and then tighten the rear nut or for a accurate result you can mount the open headlight on the bike.

before you mount the open headlight we have to do all the wiring.

Here is how you connect all the wiring.
Its very simple.

If you want to be able to turn off the hid and have the halo/demon eye running you need to install a small 2 prong on/off switch on the white wire before the red halo inverter wire. (any 2 prong switch will work).

Now lets run all the wiring on the bike.
Remove the seat

remove the side covers on the gas tank

Prop up the gas tank

remove the top cover of the air box, and remove air filter.
I mounted this ballast right on top of the ECU, using the supplied 3M sticky pad. and ran the wires out in the frame opening on the right side.
This bike already had the air box modified with the snorkel removed, if your airbox is not modified, im pretty sure you can still stuff the ballast under the air box, but you might need to remove the airbox then mount ballast and reinstal the airbox. or find another location for the ballast.

now run the wire harness along the side of the bike, behind the frame from the battery to the ballast, zip tie it to the OEM wiring along the way.

take out the wires from the opening on the side of the frame and run on the inside of the forks to the headlight

Tip: at the end go back to these wires and make sure they dont get pinched when turning the handlebars side to side, you might want to move them and zip tie them accordingly.

Lets mount the headlight on the bike and do all the wiring so we can fire up the projector and align it.

Connect all the wires to the headlight,
insert the light bulb into the projector. (simply hold the light bulb by hand, while aligning the projector.
Mount headlight on the bike with the top 2 screws.

fire up the bike, turn on low beam, hold the bike perfectly level, and look at the light output, it needs to be completely horizontal.
If its skewed to the side, then turn the projector (NOT THE silver cover, but the projector itself) turn it until the light is completely level.
turn off the bike, let the SUPER HOT hid bulb cool down, remove headlight, and tighten the rear nut, while holding the projector from the front.
hold the projector while tightening, if the projector moves you will have to repeat this step.

With the headlight mounted and the projector secure and rotated properly, your light output should look like this:

Projector is mounted and we can close up the headlight.
mount the bezel on the headlight with the 3 little screws.

Reheat the glue on the headlight body and lens with the heat gun, then press the headlight together.
Wrap some painters tape around the headlight tightly, and let it cool down for 30mins.

If using oven method, then put the lenses back onto the headlight, press them in lightly, not all the way.
Place headlight on a towel and into the oven at 225F for 5 minutes, remove hot headlight from the oven and press lenses firmly together.
wrap painters tape around tightly and let it cool down for 30mins.

Last edited:

borka

The rubber dust caps need to be slightly modified to fit the new hid bulb rubber seal.
Cut off this piece

put the light bulb in the projector.
Bulb, silicone spacer, metal ring, then the rear nut.

fish all the wires through the light bulb grommet, insert grommet into rubber dust cap.

zip tie the wires, so they dont get pulled out.

Now put the bike together in reverse order and you are DONE!.

Sit back and enjoy your new lights!

Last edited:

Mitchelldietz

does that plastic piece thats around the projector come off? i think it would look cool if it was painted black, along with the headlight housing.

borka

does that plastic piece thats around the projector come off? i think it would look cool if it was painted black, along with the headlight housing.

The pojector shroud is removable, so its very easy to paint.

Nice tutorial, now someone make one for the Fazer:D

I might make a tutorial for the fz6 and fz8 fazer soon, I already have all the pictures, just need to find time to type it up.

Last edited:

hsrob

I don't think my halo is coming on, I have the inverter hooked up and the red wire tied in with the white low beam positive, and I'm pretty sure the black ground is hooked up properly (the main HID's working fine). Anything I can check?

borka

I don't think my halo is coming on, I have the inverter hooked up and the red wire tied in with the white low beam positive, and I'm pretty sure the black ground is hooked up properly (the main HID's working fine). Anything I can check?

connect the red/black wires from the halo inverter directly to the battery and see if the halo is coming on. if not your halo or inverter might be broken, so contact bkmoto for a replacement.

hsrob

Cool, thanks, will do, I was scared to do that cause i didn't wan't to burn it up but looking at the box 12 VDC in should be safe, so I will try tomorrow and send for a replacement if it isn't working.

Anyways, I LOVE the HID. I got the 55W 6000K version, it's seriously one of the brightest headlights I've ever seen. And the cutoff and light pattern are fantastic. Definitely 5 stars from me.

hsrob

Cool, I got them working just fine. Not sure where I went wrong with the advised wiring diagram, but I ended up doing my own thing, running wires back to the battery area, quick splicing a positive lead from past the fuse, then wiring up a flip switch that I have stealthily hidden under the seat area that can turn on the angel/demon eyes independently of the headlight (works when the bike is off too for extra fun stealth action :D)

makulos

How do you get the glue off bezel surfaces it accidentally get smeared on during the process of separating the headlight without ruining the shiny finish?

Guillaume

Thanks for the instructions, they were pretty helpful this weekend.
I finally installed the light and love the HID! Even though highbeam is so bright I'm afraid to blind other drivers.
I spent time painting the reflector black though. I bought some heat resistant paint and applied a few layers. To separate the lens, I shoved the stripped down headlight in the oven pre-heated to 400 degrees but turned off and let it sit for 8 minutes. The lens came off super easy (though it might be because I had already opened it a couple months earlier with a heatgun, which was much much harder).
I managed to fit everything behind the headlight since I didn't want to mess with the airbox.
Here are my 2 issues for people thinking of doing the same thing. I threaded the wire harness through the left side of the frame and ziptied that box to the existing harness. It looks pretty clean but being on the left side, it's in the way of the lower headlight mount bolt. Try to thread it through the right side (as it's explained in the instructions) so that it doesn't end up in the way.
If you are going to paint the reflector, make sure you let the paint cure for at least 48hrs. I didn't really think about it and only let it cure for 24hrs. Some fumes were still coming out of the paint which started clouding the top of the lens. I've heard the fumes can damage the plastic so I'm considering opening the headlight to air it out and clean it (I'm lazy though right now).
Here are quick snaps with my phone, I'll take better ones later.

borka

Thanks for the instructions, they were pretty helpful this weekend.
I finally installed the light and love the HID! Even though highbeam is so bright I'm afraid to blind other drivers.
I spent time painting the reflector black though. I bought some heat resistant paint and applied a few layers. To separate the lens, I shoved the stripped down headlight in the oven pre-heated to 400 degrees but turned off and let it sit for 8 minutes. The lens came off super easy (though it might be because I had already opened it a couple months earlier with a heatgun, which was much much harder).
I managed to fit everything behind the headlight since I didn't want to mess with the airbox.
Here are my 2 issues for people thinking of doing the same thing. I threaded the wire harness through the left side of the frame and ziptied that box to the existing harness. It looks pretty clean but being on the left side, it's in the way of the lower headlight mount bolt. Try to thread it through the right side (as it's explained in the instructions) so that it doesn't end up in the way.
If you are going to paint the reflector, make sure you let the paint cure for at least 48hrs. I didn't really think about it and only let it cure for 24hrs. Some fumes were still coming out of the paint which started clouding the top of the lens. I've heard the fumes can damage the plastic so I'm considering opening the headlight to air it out and clean it (I'm lazy though right now).
Here are quick snaps with my phone, I'll take better ones later.

very nice! i like the blacked out look!!

Guillaume

very nice! i like the blacked out look!!

Thanks! I love the look too, definitely an improvement.
But the lens is still too shiny, I'm almost debating blacking out the whole thing, just leaving a perfect circle hole for the projector. Finding where it exactly comes out, mask it out and paint the lens. Tough to get a clean look though...

b-eock

I need a little help...

So I got my kit, started installing things. The bulb doesn't fit right, I don't know where the part I have circled in the picture is. I need a little help guys.

borka

So I got my kit, started installing things. The bulb doesn't fit right, I don't know where the part I have circled in the picture is. I need a little help guys.

Which bulb doesnt fit right? the hid bulb that goes into the projector?

if that H4 pigtail is missing from your order, email bkmoto for a new one.
[email protected]

borka

Correct the HID bulb does not fit into the projector right. And yes that H4 pigtail is missing.

the bulb should fit, there is a square notch that needs to line up.
if you can email me a picture of the bulb and how it fits.
[email protected]
also email your order info and ill mail you a new h4 plug tomorrow.