Helmet Mohawks... Hate It or Love It?

FZ8Panda

I've always liked mohawks on helmets ever since I seen it on a rider before I even started riding. I've seen it on both sport bike riders and harley riders alike around my area. I think it puts an interesting spin on just plain helmets. I got a neon green one on my black/green HJC helmet(started riding on a green ninja 250) and I usually have more people liking/complementing it whether I'm on or off the bike. Ladies usually love it and even had someone's grandma complement me it. Haha. But of course, you get the haters in between. I guess it's not a surprise that most haters are males. Not that I give a rat's A** on what they think but why the hate towards it? Is it purely a "I don't like it and I gotta shout out what I think while I'm driving" kinda thing or is there some hidden symbolism that I'm not aware of? I never really understood haters. LoL. I've always been taught through my childhood that if you got nothing good to say, just keep it to yourself. 'Cause Karma's a bitch. But, anyway, what are your thoughts on helmet mohawks? Just curious cause I'm bored. LoL. Hope everybody had a good Labor Day Weekend(for those who live in the US)!! :cool:

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
Hate with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

Seriously though - anything on the helmet is a safety risk. If it comes off, it can cause an accident for someone else. If you spill, it can get caught on something and torque your neck badly.

F3NIX

Please dont take this the wrong way...but people wearing a fake mohawk on thier helmet......? Explain the attraction to me. I see one and think to myself stay away from that kid on the road, hes going to do something else stupid! If you think mohawks are cool then grow a pair and get a real one, otherwise...just get some cool graphics on your helmet :)

Just my 2 cents

xXAvroArrowXx

Hate. I always shake my head when I see one... It looks SO poser-style to me and for some reason it totally reminds me of the movie Mad Max. To each their own though I guess, still better than an eBike/scooter rider waving to me 😜

cambo

Avid Rider
hahaha interesting topic!

Short Answer: "Hate it" (although hate is pretty strong, I'm only saying that because that's the only choice you gave us. If given a third option, I'd say "Don't care for it")

Long Answer:
I DO remember there was a time that I did NOT hate those things. It was way, way before I ever started riding motorcycles, the movie "300" just came out, and so I began to notice the mohawks and immediately attributed this look to the SPARTANNS! YYYEAHHH COOOOOOL THIS. IS. SPARTAAAA. F*CK XERXES!

...and so I thought they were awesome.

But now, as a fellow rider and having been immersed in the motorcycle culture, I don't care for them. Why?

You know what... I don't know why I'm against it. I don't know why I go "g'damn squid" every time I see a mohawk...the dude could be fully geared in a freaking ironman suit! lol...if he's wearing a mohawk --> still a squid to me.

Maybe because to me, a mohawk says, "I'm not riding this bike to enjoy motorcycling...I'm using a bike as a tool to get attention and take some sweet facebook pics with my bike and mohawk" and that rubs me the wrong way? Why does it even rub me the wrong way, who the eff cares right?

So there you have it, my psychological reasoning for disliking mohawks. In the end, we're all riders, to each his own I guess.

and f*ck XERXES. g'damn A$$hole...Leonidas could've still been alive. Today.

Rotaryknight

I neither hate or like them but I used to wear them while riding dirt bikes only. I did one put those flower antennas on some time ago. Girls thought it was cute as I ride by waving at almost all of them :D Though, they might have been drunk considering it was a Friday night lol

FZ8Panda

All very interesting replies. I have not thought about the potential dangers of it if I were to be involved in a crash situation. But then again, I got a camera attached on the side of my helmet most of the time so that prob doesn't help. LoL. I guess I'm still feeling like a kid outta high school and I'm not over that "that's cool" phase. Don't get me wrong, I ride cause I enjoy being on two wheels and don't do it to get attention. I'm sure sooner or later I will get bored of it. The mohawk I mean. LoL. Keep the replies coming though! It kills time when I got nothing better to do. :D:D

Trooper

I've always been taught through my childhood that if you got nothing good to say, just keep it to yourself. 'Cause Karma's a bitch.

You write this and then you want our opinion? :confused:

Oh by the way, we have Labor day in Canada as well.

FZ8Panda

You write this and then you want our opinion? :confused:

Oh by the way, we have Labor day in Canada as well.

Well, I think if someone asks for ones opinion then I don't see any harm. The statement I made was in regards to if someone were to heckle at you for no reason and they didn't ask for ones opinion. Basically Aholes is what I was trying to get at with that statement. I hope that explains it...

Does Labor Day fall on the same date in Canada too?

BigOleChalupa

hahaha interesting topic!
Maybe because to me, a mohawk says, "I'm not riding this bike to enjoy motorcycling...I'm using a bike as a tool to get attention and take some sweet facebook pics with my bike and mohawk" and that rubs me the wrong way? Why does it even rub me the wrong way, who the eff cares right?
Agreed!!! :)

Shorted

Can't say I hate them but definitely don't like them. Maybe for a 6 year old in a bicycle would be kinda of ok;)

FZ8Ryder

The only helmet I've seen them on that they didn't look too bad is the Icon Variant helmet otherwise I don't care for them. At least I wouldn't wear one. But to each their own and if you like it right now then that's all that matters :)