Givi windscreen

MotoZen

Thanks to another forum member, I got my hands on a used Givi windscreen. I cleaned it up just a bit and put it on yesterday during my lunch break. I also replaced the rubber washers since they were in pretty bad shape first, so I only got to ride home with it. It's going to be raining here for the next week or so, but I want to give it a some time before I make a final judgement.

So far I think I like it, although it does seem to change the way the wind hits me. It takes pretty much all the wind off of my chest and aims it up higher, but just barely not high enough. If I don't angle my head right, it creates a lot of lift under my helmet.

On the other hand, I can tuck behind it and have almost no wind on me. But if I tuck too far I get this really weird turbulence noise in my helmet. I think it's caused by the wind hitting the vents on my helmet in exactly the wrong way.

I'm going to leave it on for a bit and experiment. I'll probably also invest in some black plastidip. The smoke doesn't look bad, but I think that flat black will match the rest of the bike better.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

pajkrubi

Any updates on it? I'm interested because I just got my FZ8 and this is one of the first mods I want to do because I use my bike for commuting and I love the look of the givi.

MotoZen

Overall, I like it. I still feel pretty much the same way as when I first put it on. It takes the wind off of your chest but directs it more on your helmet. I've gotten used to it. It certainly won't turn your bike into a touring bike, but it does help.

Bajaedition

there is a lot to be said about where a windshield lets the wind hit you.
I have owned a lot of sports bikes and own a Sportstouring bike which have a lot more aggressive riding position than our FZ8s. with those bikes you want the wind to hit you in the chest to help relieve the amount of pressure you are putting on the wrist. However our bike is a lot more upright in riding position.
Another point about the windscreen is how far forward it is, our styling puts the front light almost at the bars instead of 6 or 8 inched in front of them like a more retro or cruiser style, so if we did have a large screen it may have to be very erect. Almost like a brick to the wind.
I wonder if anyone here has the ability to bend sheet lexan to make a shield that could use the mounting of the givi or the yamaha aftermarket screen.

Just a few thoughts

:rolleyes:

Perron

I got one and it's pretty much the same thing... A lot of air on the helmet, less on the chest. Way better when it's raining, and with a good helmet, you won't feel it, wich is NOT my case haha. Got a cheap modular helmet and with the visor closed, a lot of air is running in the helmet wich make it kind of difficult to breath... Anyway that means it's time for a new helmet :)

Here's a picture of mine Dakow. IMO it changes the look of the bike a lot. I like it

MotoZen

I have the smoked version. I think I'm going to have to paint it flat black to match the rest of my bike.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of my bike with the screen. If I manage to get my hands on some heated grips (pun not intended, but a happy accident) sometime soon, I'll snap a picture for you when I ride her next.

I got one and it's pretty much the same thing... A lot of air on the helmet, less on the chest. Way better when it's raining, and with a good helmet, you won't feel it, wich is NOT my case haha. Got a cheap modular helmet and with the visor closed, a lot of air is running in the helmet wich make it kind of difficult to breath... Anyway that means it's time for a new helmet :)

I use the same logic when buying new gear or parts!

MotoZen

That looks fantastic in matte black!

I agree. I wanted the matte black version but couldn't find it anywhere when I was looking. Then I had the chance to pick up a smoked version for pretty cheap. I figured I'd just use some plastidip on it, but haven't gotten around to it. That picture might just be the motivation that I needed!