Generalized FZ8 talk

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Thus far, we've learned from the leaks that the bike is almost identical to the FZ1 and appears to be the very same design and engineering. The rumor mill on the engine states it is more likely a sleeved FZ1 engine that reduces the total combustion chamber capacity to 800cc total.

After reviewing the leaked pictures and comparing these with the FZ1, you can easily see the bikes are near twins. Yes, there are some body-style changes in the tank, tank cowl, tail, exhaust, brakes and seating but overall, the frame, engine, suspension, etc all appear to be directly off the FZ1 manufacturing line.

I don't think this is a bad thing. The FZ1 is a well designed and fine tuned machine and the FZ8 will clearly enjoy the benefits of being presented in a tried and true package. This bike will enter a market Yamaha failed to meet with very little R&D money and allow Yamaha to reap a great deal of benefits with little overhead to the R&D as well as manufacturing process. There's a huge benefit to having two different class bikes roll off the same production line. Ask any auto manufacturer!

I welcome the new bike and strongly believe that the ties between the FZ1 and this new FZ8 will create quite a family in the online community because so much can be shared between the two models for aftermarket parts, tech tips, home-made mods, etc...

What are your thoughts? Share! :cool:

grommit

I think the 2011 FZ1 will be a new bike and or a new engine which should distance itself from the FZ8...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/cross-plane-crank-fz1-fazer-on-the-way/7936.html

...as it says the FZ1 has been around for what will be 5 years, so it is about time. It therefore makes sense for Yamaha to use the tooling for the FZ8. The FZ1 has always been well regarded unlike the FZ6 which has always been so so with the press, not with the riders thou. :)

This gives the FZ8 a head start and I expect it to be a class bike with lots of grunt if not all out power. With adjustable suspension both ends it going to handle much better. Not sure about touring and 2 up, the rear looks a bit small.

Personally I'm quite interested in getting a new bike in September/October so this might be the right one.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
CrazyBiker in the 1 forum might have hit on an idea. He seems to think they are re-using the FZ1 for this line to introduce a Gen III FZ1 for 2011 that will be retooled based on the newer R1 and will have a detuned crossplane engine in it. That would be awesome! Thus the Gen II FZ1 will simply "become" the FZ8 instead. It does make a lot of sense and the Gen II design is rock-solid at this point so why reinvent the wheel for two model lines when you want to focus on a line that is now 5 years old.

So, his comments fall directly inline with your comments in a way. We'll have to see how this all plays out. :D

CrazyBiker

FZ1 is due anyway according to its 5 year overhaul cycle so far
gen I - 2001
gen II - 2006
gen III - 2011

I just pray that they don't totally chuck it out. There is nothing wrong with the current fazer other than the low tank capacity and fuel economy.

But one concern is that if the FZ8 is a sleeved down FZ1 engine then it may not weight any less than the 1. Even the brakes look the same. And they adjusted a few curves in the bodyline. and put a slightly fatter fz6 fairing on it. It may be even possible to swap in the FZ1 fairing. Interchangeability is great.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
So, with this ride, it appears to be all of the FZ1 with less combustion chamber. This means it will likely weigh in about the same wet weight as the FZ1 and have a smaller power to weight ratio. This is sort of what happened with the FZ6 with the release of the FZ6R but they didn't reduce the amount of CC in the engine, just managed it in other methods.

So, with this in mind, wouldn't it be simple for riders to send out the cylinders and head, have it bored back out to make it a 998cc block, shave the head a tad to increase compression and throw in the FZ1 pistons and rings? That wouldn't be all that expensive for the shop guy who can wrench his own bike.

The only thing to weigh in on at that point is, what is the cost difference between buying the FZ8 vs. the FZ1? What would be the cost of a big bore kit? Should you simply buy the FZ1 or is this enough savings to bore the FZ8? One major factor to weigh in that cost? INSURANCE! The insurance on the 8 will be a fair amount less than a liter bike so weigh in the difference with a quote for both bikes from your agent BEFORE making this decision.

Or, if you have a line on a wrecked FZ1 with a cheap-to-buy motor, you know it will simply bolt-on. You can save the 800 for later... you can bore and polish the heads on the 800 and swap back later... you can sell the 800 engine to recoup costs...

So many possibilities!!!

Razer632

if the 600cc fz6 is replaced by the fz8, then maybe in 2011 the fz1 will be replaced by a fz12, a built from scratch 1200cc crossplane cranked fazer! >.<

FZ1inNH

Administrator
That is a thought... I'd be happy with the 1000 and a cross plane. ;) I doubt they will get rid of the FZ1 though.

Also, the FZ6R was the FZ6 replacement. The FZ8 is a new class no matter what they say. ;)

Thundercat

The FZ8 is a new class no matter what they say. ;)

Well, it's a more or less necessary one now that they "fazed" out the FZ6 S2...

I'm currently pondering the replacement of my 10-yr old YZF-600R, and while the FZ6R is not an option (I like its looks, but I can't really step down in power, ofcourse :) ), I'm about to write the FZ8 off of the options list as well.

- Due to its replacement, the FZ6 S2 can be bought for a very reasonable price at the moment. It has nearly as much power as my current bike, and (compared to the FZ1/FZ8) I like the undertail exhaust, its smaller seat height/width, it's lighter, and it has a bigger tank plus better mileage.

- The FZ8 has more top-end power, and more importantly, more torque, but for the price of it, I can also get a good second-hand FZ1 (the current model is unchanged since 2007), which has even more top-end power, and likely also more torque across the rev range (I doubt that the different engine characteristic of the FZ8 is enough to make up for the loss of 200cc). The FZ1 probably also has better suspension (and brakes?), because Yamaha will have to save money somewhere to make up for the price difference in these almost identical bikes.

Plus I can get an FZ6 or FZ1 "now", as opposed to halfway past the season.

The above reasoning will change next year ofcourse, when the supply of FZ6 S2's has long run out, the FZ8 is available both new and second-hand (and a '11 crossplane FZ1 has made its way to the stores), but for now, unless you insist on buying new, or face a sharp rise in insurance costs, I'm wondering: why buy an FZ8?