FZ6 Talk

FZ1inNH

Administrator
While waiting for the FZ8 to arrive, we do have members here with the FZ6 family (and a lucky one with BOTH!). We can all chat it up about the 6, what you like, what you think about its untimely demise and how you feel about the new 8. :cool:

CrazyBiker

Didn't like the suspension and the anemic power below 7-8k rpm but an excellent commuter to rake on miles. Looks good but only the 07+. Beautiful weldless frame.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
The oomph was one of my peeves with the bike but even bigger was the lack of suspension. That was the major reason I went to the FZ1 rather than sink money into modding the FZ6. The extra power and braking was a huge plus!

Overall, I wouldn't mind having an FZ6 in the stable just for what you've said Akshay.... miles. Use it strictly for commuting and around town riding. Save the fun and heavy touring for the 1!

CrazyBiker

Thats exactly I am using the FZ6 for - commute. FZ1 comes out when I want to play around a bit or have gotten a bit bored. The way the market is I don't think the FZ6 will sell? What do you think will be a decent price for the FZ6? - mostly stock except for SS lines, HH pads, Speedbleeders, R1 pod light mod, 07+ conversion, R6S suspension, Puig windscreen, FE. I advertised it for 4k, not a single inquiry.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I think that $4k is VERY fair pricing but... KBB says it's worth $4095 in perfect shape. People tend to not want to pay for mods or at least not a lot of them. I'd try Craigslist for $3,995 OBO and see if any inquiries come back. Given your location, I'd expect a quicker sale!

Here's a slightly modded 2005 here at the local used dealer for $3,995. 2005 YAMAHA FZ6 - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120 and it needs tires.

CrazyBiker

I think that $4k is VERY fair pricing but... KBB says it's worth $4095 in perfect shape. People tend to not want to pay for mods or at least not a lot of them. I'd try Craigslist for $3,995 OBO and see if any inquiries come back. Given your location, I'd expect a quicker sale!

Here's a slightly modded 2005 here at the local used dealer for $3,995. 2005 YAMAHA FZ6 - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120 and it needs tires.

I didn't get even offers. I think the max I will get for her is $3200

FZ1inNH

Administrator
That's really sort of sad that it will not sell for a reasonable amount! I guess it comes down to what you're actually willing to let it go for. Lord knows I've taken a loss before, as recent as the FZ6 trade for the FZ1. But, I was willing to accept that loss and move on without thinking about it. That is a decision only you can make though. ;)

Are you still considering the FZ6R for your wife? With the lowering kit?

CrazyBiker

I need to take Poonam to the showroom and make her sit on one. Lowering means less ground clearance so I don't want it to be a limiting factor if I want to ride it

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I weigh 230lbs with all the gear on and I can ride her's lowered without any troubles so long as I crank the rear shock up to 7. No issues bottoming out. I think that, at the very least, I'm also going to drain her forks and move from 5w to 10w oil in them to help with the brake dive.

It's a FUN little bike to drive!

CrazyBiker

I think they really made it very smooth and the suspension is very good for being nonadjustable. I love its tail though, looks very high quality supersport one even if it is not an cast alloy.

I think it has a detuned revvy 2000-2002 R6 engine which was carbed initially. The only way the revvy I4 be made that smooth is to loose almost 40 bhp.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
In a round-about way, yes. It is based on the FZ6 engine which has its roots with the R6. Here's the beans from Motorcycle Daily on their 1st-Ride report:

Motorcycle Daily said:
Derived from the FZ6's engine, the FZ6R's inline-four acquires new crankcases in order to use a pull rod clutch release mechanism with a higher leverage ratio for lower lever effort. The camshafts and cylinder heads were reconfigured for a more flexible and torquey power delivery, with single intake-valve springs to reduce parasitic losses, and with a larger airbox and tapered inlet ports to improve cylinder filling at lower revs.

It's about 78 hp but they really smoothed out the band. Where the FZ6 had the BIG jump at about 7500 RPMs, this bike does not and is more linear throughout the throttle range. This also introduced the new 32 bit ECU to the FZ6 engine. While it may be less HP, don't be fooled into thinking it's a lot less capable bike. ;) I really like to tool on hers!

CrazyBiker

Yes, I read that MD review which gave it the top honors inspite of lower power but excellent handling, looks, basically everything.

I think it uses more the gen I 2000-2002 R6 engine as they say earlier gen R6 whereas FZ6 uses the gen II 2003-2005 R6 engine.

Humperdinkel

Loved almost everything about the FZ6 , well the lack of front end adjustment was a bit disappointing but they did have it pretty good stock.....Till i rode the R1 and i realised how little power the FZ had :(

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I'd like to own an R1 with the STD conversion kit so it has handlebars. :D About $500 for that kit! :tup:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Here's the kit for the R1 from LSL Superbike Handlebar Kits