Front Fork Spring Swap

cambo

Avid Rider
Does anyone have any experience swapping out the front fork springs? My stiffer racetech springs came in yesterday and I'm wondering if I can do it myself a la simple cap removal and drop in since i don't need to change the oil or anything.

But if I have to dismantle the entire front end just to get the forks out to perform the swap, forget it, I'll just take it to the shop. I wish I had time for that mess but I don't :(

Thoughts? As always, much appreciated!

Ty

F

Fazed

I have never replaced the springs in USD forks. I'm assuming it would be the same as right way ups.

Loosen the top triple clamp from around the fork. You may need to move the handle bars out of the way. Undo the fork cap. Pull out the old spring and put in the new one. Do everything up.

D

DJK1505

Bring them with you when we do the rear shock! I will figure it out. I am positive it can not be all that complicated!!!!!

DJ

D

DJK1505

Just looked through the manual, looks like we just pull the top cap off, unscrew the lock nut, pull the spacer out, remove old spring and install new. Hell I have my old ones sitting on the garage floor, I will take them apart tonight and see how difficult it is. Bring it on brother!!!!!!!!!

DJ

C

calscrazy

thats what i did was spring replacement. you will laugh when you are done at how easy it is. i actually moved the bars out of the way but its very simple and very staright forward just like djk said.

waypoint

mod squad
Just looked through the manual, looks like we just pull the top cap off, unscrew the lock nut, pull the spacer out, remove old spring and install new. Hell I have my old ones sitting on the garage floor, I will take them apart tonight and see how difficult it is. Bring it on brother!!!!!!!!!
DJ

In the manual they talk about using rod holder and fork spring compressor? Let us know what you find. Will be installing new springs myself in the near future. Thx!

cambo

Avid Rider
Awesome! Thanks gents! Slowkey actually PM'd me saying he was currently working it and was going to post a How-to pretty soon as well. G'damn this forum rocks.

DJ, thanks brotha! but if it's that easy I can knock it out this weekend, especially since I'm stuck at home babysitting haha. Also, I just ordered a motorcycle ramp to my truck. Ready to transport this sucker!

Ty

slowkey

Currently in the middle of this swap. I have discovered that you will need a fork spring puller but you can make one yourself which is what I'm doing next. I will document and post when I am done (hopefully tonight)

D

DJK1505

Cool man, get it done. interested to see what you did to make your tool.

Cambo,
You dont get it done before you are coming over for the rear just bring it with you. We will get it all done that afternoon.

DJ

cambo

Avid Rider
Roger that sir!

Just for kicks, I inquired what a local bike shop would charge to swap out the springs. (Ram Cycles)...they quoted me $255. Get the hell out of here!!

Wolf

Roger that sir!

Just for kicks, I inquired what a local bike shop would charge to swap out the springs. (Ram Cycles)...they quoted me $255. Get the hell out of here!!

Just got a set of Racetech springs and stopped by the local shop to inquire about installation..... $350!
Looks like I'm going to be picking up a headstock stand and doing it myself.

Glad I found this thread.

Wolf

Okay.... so I started doing this today, but found after loosening the upper tube clamp and starting to unscrew the cap, the cap doesn't want to come off. It's like it's attached to the spring somehow? Even with some gently prying with a pickle fork, it feels like the spring is attached to the cap.... it starts coming up, then when I release the tension, it gets sucked back down.

Torbeach

You should try and get a copy of the service manual. The fork removal and disassembly is covered in the chassis section. You need to compress the spring so you can lower the spacer to get access to the lock bolt underneath the cap. Loosening the lock bolt will allow you to remove the cap from the damper rod assembly. The steps are similar to what is shown in this YouTube video starting around 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TrhGN3Bu8