Fork upgrades --- Anything new out there?

After looking through the forums i did not come across any new / updated products for some fork options.
Wanting to gather some more info from a few people.... So what do you think is the best route for both performance and cost?

I've heard everything from a complete front end swap to just changing the fork oil (which i'm scared to try myself for some reason or another)

I know they make fork spring kits from a few providers but have not heard much about how they turned out.

Whats your opinion? What are you using?

Teslank

i have fz1 internals

i recently changed the springs because they were too soft for my weight, at the same time i changed the fork oil to 10W to better suit my weight! its marvelous :)

after that you need to go either R1 front swap, or buy some modified racing forks that will fit the fz8(fz1 does the job too)

Teslank

Thanks for the info. Did you do the internal swap yourself?

yes , i am a master mechanic, without proper experience most people cant do this on their own, compressing the springs without the specific tools is impossible(i fabricated mine) and if you go wrong on the oil refill process the shocks wont work properly

swapping the frontt forks internal for the fz1's take less than 2 hours to do, replacing the springs can take up to 4 hours depending on wich tool you have to make the job faster, and it goes without saying that playing with the springs is quite dangerous

Last edited:

RonPNWUSA

i have fz1 internals

i recently changed the springs because they were too soft for my weight, at the same time i changed the fork oil to 10W to better suit my weight! its marvelous :)

after that you need to go either R1 front swap, or buy some modified racing forks that will fit the fz8(fz1 does the job too)

Hey Teslank,

Still have the FZ8? I am about to have installed new Race Tech Springs for my standard forks. I weight 270, what was your weight at the time of choosing 10W Oil and what are the temps where you ride? I'm in Seattle area so I am not sure if I can heat up 10w oil most of the time but direct summer. But if the valving isn't wright for our weight that may help.

Oregon FZ8

People please quit wasting your money by converting to a r1 front end. Race Tech makes springs and valving kits that cost way less with better results because the setup is exact for your weight and riding style. you can do both front and rear with their springs and valving. I did mine and the bike feels like a complete bike now set up just for me. its crazy the differences in track times after doing the springs and valving spacificaly or your weight.