Fast Bike Industries (David Behrend)

EugeneORFZ8

I wanted to give a product review of the items and service I received from David at Fastbike Industries. I was looking to update the front shocks on my Yamaha Fz8 so I contacted David through eBay. He was able to proficiently address all of my questions and concerns - this guy really knows his stuff! He offered to sell and install the Andreani front fork cartridge kits at his facility for a steal of a price! When I inquired about the Ohlins S46DR1, he was able to price match one of the lowest prices I found on the internet. I opted to buy both and have him install the cartridge kits at his facility.

David sent me the Ohlins rear shock first and I installed it myself. The Ohlins was so precise that I easily noticed the insufficiency of the stock front shocks. The Ohlins caused the bike to lock into the turns and it didn’t skip at all. A few weeks later I sent in my front forks. Two days after David received them, he had already shipped them back to me (impressive). Now that I’ve been riding with upgraded shocks on the front and rear, it’s a completely different handling bike. My bike’s handling finally matches the engines performance. The bike is solid, but not stiff; it locks into the turns and the shocks improved the braking performance. While this is my first suspension upgrade, I think it is well worth the money.

I highly recommend using David. He was always available via e-mail and phone and responds to questions on weekends and after hours. You can tell he cares about his customer and is passionate about motorcycles.

Here's the website if anyone is interested in FZ8 suspension upgrades from an Ohlins service center. Fast Bike Industries :: Ohlins #1 Service Center

Andreani Group (David represents their products) Fork cartridge yam. fz8 adjustable comp+est+preload | Andreani Shop

BTW - I don't work for or have any affiliation with this company; I’m just a satisfied customer.

S

Shock

Great write up thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking what were the damages $$$ ?

Last edited by a moderator:

EugeneORFZ8

My wife said I shouldn't divulge the amount so it wouldn't put FastBike into a corner on pricing.....but as long as we keep it between us and the other thousands of people on the forum...it was just over $1200 plus shipping. That includes the Ohlins shock, Andreani front cartridge kit (with oil and labor). Very affordable.

H

Hoover

Thats a decent price. Nice to hear that the service was as good as it gets.
Perhaps let him know that you have posted this and he may be getting some phone calls!

EugeneORFZ8

I sent David the link. I'm sure with all the suspension issues discussed here that he'll get a few calls. It certainly made a huge difference in the performance of the bike. Probably shouldn't have taken Yamaha three years to address. That being said even with the cost of the bike and the new suspension it's still a great bike for the money.

Spyder Eye

I wanted to give a product review of the items and service I received from David at Fastbike Industries. I was looking to update the front shocks on my Yamaha Fz8 so I contacted David through eBay. He was able to proficiently address all of my questions and concerns - this guy really knows his stuff! He offered to sell and install the Andreani front fork cartridge kits at his facility for a steal of a price! When I inquired about the Ohlins S46DR1, he was able to price match one of the lowest prices I found on the internet. I opted to buy both and have him install the cartridge kits at his facility.

David sent me the Ohlins rear shock first and I installed it myself. The Ohlins was so precise that I easily noticed the insufficiency of the stock front shocks. The Ohlins caused the bike to lock into the turns and it didn’t skip at all. A few weeks later I sent in my front forks. Two days after David received them, he had already shipped them back to me (impressive). Now that I’ve been riding with upgraded shocks on the front and rear, it’s a completely different handling bike. My bike’s handling finally matches the engines performance. The bike is solid, but not stiff; it locks into the turns and the shocks improved the braking performance. While this is my first suspension upgrade, I think it is well worth the money.

I highly recommend using David. He was always available via e-mail and phone and responds to questions on weekends and after hours. You can tell he cares about his customer and is passionate about motorcycles.

Here's the website if anyone is interested in FZ8 suspension upgrades from an Ohlins service center. Fast Bike Industries :: Ohlins #1 Service Center

Andreani Group (David represents their products) Fork cartridge yam. fz8 adjustable comp+est+preload | Andreani Shop

BTW - I don't work for or have any affiliation with this company; I’m just a satisfied customer.

What size springs you have and what are the suspension settings set to Front/Rear? If you don't mind how much do you weigh and what type of riding do you have it setup for? Do the the front forks carts have preload adjust? Or just Comp and Rebound?

Thanks

EugeneORFZ8

I'm 225 lbs and my riding is all on the street, mainly the twisty Oregon back roads. The fork kit is fully adjustable for compression, rebound, preload. David at FBI installed the springs to match my weight/riding style, and also set everything to match. I've played around some with the settings but his seem to be spot on. I'm sure it will be a little different for everyone.

As to the other question on the R1 shock, I didn't look into it at all. It didn't seem that expensive to keep the look of my shocks and risk getting something that needed re-sealing or was bent or scratched up. I'm sure either works as long as you get a deal that works for you.

C

calscrazy

did you get the ohlins 009? considering dumping the fz1 rear for it. just not positive how much difference between the two.

Zomax

Pillion
In regard to having the shock and front end redone - I will pass on one of my observations.

I have both the Ohlins (s46dr1) shock and RaceTech springs in the front. Today, the temperature got all the way to 51 degrees, so I was forced to go for a ride. Prior to this, I was only able to put about 20 miles on the new suspension, and most of these miles were used making adjustments to the rebound on the new shock. So today, I head out on one of my favorite farm roads, and take about a 30 mile ride. Note, this farm road has a speed limit of 45 mph, and on the stock suspension, I could ride at 45 and just about never have to look at the speedo, because the bike just felt a "certain way".
Today, with the redone suspension, the bike was feeling that "certain way" and I looked down at the speedo and thought - shit, better back off about 30 mph (this could have been my imagination, as I would never exceed the posted speed limit).

All I'm saying, is that a change in suspension makes this feel like a completely different bike.