FARKING PT LOOSER!!!!!

master paper clip

So anyone got some expierence with this rolling boulder of shit, me and my girl got one, came out of wawa the other day and car wouldn't start, starter clicked but wouldn't crank... Went got a new battery and still nothing then I remembered smacking a starter could get it to start so I did, and it worked got it home ripped the car apart and replaced the starter... Has been starting perfectly fine every day do the last 3 days, was at work today turned off the car went into the house did my inspection and came out to the car not starting again, just a click from the starter like that battery's dead, tried to jump it but still did nothing..,, powers on to everything inside nothing's dim and I really don't think it's the starter cause like I said brand new and been working for a few days flawlessly but I wouldn't doubt it

Now I read that I can turn the lights on and try to start the car, if the lights don't dim when u try to start it then your PCM is bad, if they dim it's another problem, since I got this online I'm taking it with a grain of salt since I'll be looking at over 400 for the computer and to have the keys reprogrammed, and this will be ontop of the 200 we just spent 3 days ago. I don't have the money to pay a dealer to rape me in the ass or the money for a new vehicle witch honestly would be smarter cause this things a hunk of shit, needs all motor mounts, sway bar links new shocks all around, brakes are beyond needing some help and the cherry on the cake is the trans is leaking like a mofo and the rear main seal is bad also.... And what's worse is we got the car from her aunt, told my girl the car was dealer maintained, just had a bunch of stuff replaced at the dealer including the trans... Now we find out the cars never seen a dealer and hasn't had anything fixed on it in years, she has 3 kids and I only have my bike rite now and my pickup that needs a new steering box won't due her no good, our job requires a vehicle cause we drive all day long doing home inspections for banks... I'm more then capable of fixing the car if I can figure out where to start

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Hit the starter again while you're trying to start it. If it starts, it's the starter again. What is happening is that the solenoid is working, but the motor brushes are inbetween contacts and when you hit it it jars the brushes enough to make contact. The thing about trying to start it with the headlights on is legit, but you have to take into account the fact that it's clicking. That clicking noise means that the solenoid is getting power. That rules out the PCM. Also, make sure that all the connections are solid. If the solenoid is getting power to the control side, but the motor has no power, it will have these same symptoms. The ground side is through the starter motor body, so if it is bolted to the bell housing properly, the ground is no problem. New (reman'd) starters can be bad. It could have been a Monday when it was reman'd. Keep us posted as to what the results of the diagnosis are. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!!!

master paper clip

Thanx for the suggestions, that's te first thing I did when I heard the click after I cursed at the car for a few minute, grabbed my tire iron and have it a few taps while my girl tried to start it.... I'm just gonna pull the starter and battery out tomorow and have them checked, plus I'm just gonna replace the lead from the battery to the starter, the forum states the wires to small and heats up really quick and causes to much resistance, but then I mentioned the fact my starter only clicks one time and it was suggested I could have a faulty ground in the starting system... This car kicked my ass getting it on the tow dolly so I'm gonna attack it early tomrow and I'll report back

pajkrubi

Those cars are definitely crap boxes. My aunt had one that gave them nothing but problems and left them sitting several times before they got rid of it. I also agree that it could just be that you got a bad starter, it's happened to me before. I'm assuming you did but have you made sure your terminals are clean?

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Honestly, I worked at the Chrysler dealership down here and that was the most reliable car in the lineup. We never really had to do any major repairs on them unless they were overheated due to loss of coolant (usually a leaking radiator). I hate them, but they do last, if properly maintained.

b-eock

^---Exactly. I have a 06 PT Cruiser (not by choice, mom gave it to me for my b-day when I turned 16 and I still don't have my C class on my license lol, I'm only 17 so don't think I have had it for years). Almost 120K miles on it. Does it run like its off the lot? No, but it sure as hell is reliable. I've had a couple problems, but that's cause I'm rough as hell on the thing. Gotten the speedo to read just over 120 mph (about like 122 mph) though xD. And this is the non turbo version. Its nice as long as you take care of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

master paper clip

All that battery and starter cables were shot.... Unfortunately this car was never taken care of , her aunt told us it was dealer maintained and all, just recently had the brakes done, coolent flushed and a tune up alone with the trans getting replaced with a new one fairly recently..... Lies all of it, cars never seen te dealer, and the trans was replaced with a junk yard one by her mans friend... Last time this car has seen repairs that I can actually confirm was back in early 2005

b-eock

Dang... I'm sorry bro. That honestly sucks to hear...

reALIGNed

By the sound of the shape the car is in, its a good thing it doesn't start, sure hate to have you behind me in traffic, lol (j/k).

It sounds as though you have a loose, disconnected or dirty ground cable. Start at the battery connectors and follow each cable to its other end, make sure they are clean and tight and solid, (not frayed). Some vehicles have a second grounding strap/cable, inspect yours as well. Corrosion, dirt/grime, and looseness all contribute to an "open/short" circuit, and is only seen under heavy amperage draw (attempting to crank engine), whereas a simple dome light, radio, windows, etc. do not pull as much amps, thus seem to work fine.
So, I'm betting on a loose ground cable at the battery end. Good luck

b-eock

We have an engine block ground, a battery ground and an alternator ground. Check those.