Experimenting with rear sprockets

Fazerboy66

has anyone tried using rear sprockets other than the stock 46 tooth?

I'm thinking of running a 39 tooth on the rear, to give me more of that lovely low end grunt.
I guess i'll get a bit more on the top end - but were limited to 70mph here in the soggy UK.

Are there any tips and pitfalls you need to be aware of when playing with gearing?

Lee_533

If you change one sprocket, it's suggested that you change both and get a new chain, unless you don't really have any miles on the bike. If you have a lot of miles on the stock set up, the new sprocket will wear different from the other and can shorten the life if your chain and front sprocket. I changed my front at 1500 miles without changing anything else and I'm still fine but if you are running 6k or something on the stock set up, I would suggest changing the front as well.

Marthy

Been there, done that... here's my recommendation. My 6R comes with 16/46. Best set up is 17/46. I tried: 16/38, 17/44, 17/43 and 16/46.

Let me explain here. I did the 16/38 at first. I couldn't get use to the bike spinning 6-7K at 70 MPH when I first got the bike. Acceleration sucks and after 3rd gear I use to hold the clutch and shift to 6th. It was way too much...

I did liked the 17/44, for me it's like 1 gear over drive. Meaning 16/46 6th = 17/44 5th gear. That was nice and smooth. But no steel sprocket in this size. So I end up using 17/46.

One last thing... My clutch did suffer of premature wear too. I had to change it because it was slipping. 30K miles or so. I think the extra load from the longer gear might have contribute to this

So longer sprocket ratio is not necessary better. I'll go +1 front or -2,3 on the rear max. MPG do not improve dramatically with longer ratio too. Top speed is drag limited... not a ratio thing. Unless you add 20 HP to your bike, won't go any faster. If there anything might even go slower.

Last edited:

Bam Bam

has anyone tried using rear sprockets other than the stock 46 tooth?

I'm thinking of running a 39 tooth on the rear, to give me more of that lovely low end grunt.
I guess i'll get a bit more on the top end - but were limited to 70mph here in the soggy UK.

Are there any tips and pitfalls you need to be aware of when playing with gearing?

Going down in the rear would give you more speed and less bottom end torque.the best would be to go up to teeth in the rear and -1 in the front for great low end

SeñorJack

El Guapo
i just realized this exists haha. i think we are looking for the same thing :) try searching the forum for the guys that run -1 +2. you could call this the "lovely low-end grunt mod".

smaller in front= more acceleration, less top speed
bigger in rear= the same

i am going t do this mod as soon as I find the rit 15t front sprocket.

i hear the bike will still take you to 125 but, NONE OF THESE OTHER GUYS GOT A TOP SPEED RUN :p