ECU Flash

FZ8canuk

Has anyone had their ECU flashed is it worth the effort how much hp can you get from having the ECU done ?
My local shop now offers this service so I want to hear from some of the guys that have done it before I throw down my cash

Cheers

Umyaya

Yeah. Everybody is getting theirs flashed now a days.... TurboJoe probably is cheaper than your local shop... just having all the engine restrictions off is awesome. I had a PC5 and auto tune before... sold it for more than the actual tune itself... for HP it depends on your mods.. I'm sure a good tune with mods will come to around 100 hp at the wheel (not crank).

Sinooch

yea i would personally go with the flash. i was going to go pc5 and autotune but it so much money. id rather just send out my ecu and get it flashed. relatively same deal just significantly cheaper

FZ8canuk

Yeah. Everybody is getting theirs flashed now a days.... TurboJoe probably is cheaper than your local shop... just having all the engine restrictions off is awesome. I had a PC5 and auto tune before... sold it for more than the actual tune itself... for HP it depends on your mods.. I'm sure a good tune with mods will come to around 100 hp at the wheel (not crank).
If I get 100 HP or more at the wheel and unlock all the restrictions I would be happy with that for sure. I have had the bike dyno tuned before with a Bazzaz unit got 106 hp at the wheel but was way too lean so ended up loading another map and have not had it on a Dyno since so not sure what its at now

Last edited:

Umyaya

Yeah. Well turboe joe said 109 at wheel but woody claims 98. I have heard different dynos will read differently. Depending on your setup 106 at the wheel is very good.

TorontoAlex

I don't know anything about ECUs etc. However, would it not be possible to download the tune to a PC, and just re-upload to another bike??

FZ8canuk

Yeah. Well turboe joe said 109 at wheel but woody claims 98. I have heard different dynos will read differently. Depending on your setup 106 at the wheel is very good.

Ya it is but the bike was way to lean when I pulled the plugs they were white which means the bike was way to lean I loaded a milder map because I was worried about damage to the motor . So I was thinking that if I flash the ECU and retune I can get those numbers again without having to lean out the top end so much

bimmertech12

Ya it is but the bike was way to lean when I pulled the plugs they were white which means the bike was way to lean I loaded a milder map because I was worried about damage to the motor . So I was thinking that if I flash the ECU and retune I can get those numbers again without having to lean out the top end so much
Why not just add fuel across the table?

9 Lives

I don't know anything about ECUs etc. However, would it not be possible to download the tune to a PC, and just re-upload to another bike??

Short answer, yes with the proper cable and a program called flash-tune. The kits (cable and software) start at $380.

Last edited:

9 Lives

You get best performance with a A/F mixture a bit on the rich side. If you engine is running at a optimum A/F ratio for performance your plugs should be a light tan color.

FZ8canuk

You get best performance with a A/F mixture a bit on the rich side. If you engine is running at a optimum A/F ratio for performance your plugs should be a light tan color.

yes that's how they are running now, they are a nice light tan. I think I will run it on the dyno again to see what its at and then have it flashed, the guys at my local shop want to use my bike in a bike show in February to promote the shop so maybe I can work a trade :)

Sinooch

yes that's how they are running now, they are a nice light tan. I think I will run it on the dyno again to see what its at and then have it flashed, the guys at my local shop want to use my bike in a bike show in February to promote the shop so maybe I can work a trade :)

Thats how sponsors work lol. they advertise through your bike and you get free stuff lol. you could definitely work out a trade

spudrees

Where is the ecu location. I looked on the workshop manual and it says it is on the left behind the panel. I lifted the tank and it's not there either lol. A little help please?!?

Johnfd3

Under the tank just behind the headset. 2 plugs unplug from it and it slides back towards the seat on a little bit of an angle. Little bigger than a wallet.

Where is the ecu location. I looked on the workshop manual and it says it is on the left behind the panel. I lifted the tank and it's not there either lol. A little help please?!?

spudrees

Under the tank just behind the headset. 2 plugs unplug from it and it slides back towards the seat on a little bit of an angle. Little bigger than a wallet.

I lifted the tank this afternoon thinking it wud be under there and all I found was the air box. Is it between the air box and the headstock to then?

Johnfd3

Yes sorry you have to remove the airbox and velocity stacks to access it. There is a black rubber piece too you will need to remove the zip ties for to get it out.

I lifted the tank this afternoon thinking it wud be under there and all I found was the air box. Is it between the air box and the headstock to then?

spudrees

Yes sorry you have to remove the airbox and velocity stacks to access it. There is a black rubber piece too you will need to remove the zip ties for to get it out.

Thanks a lot for the info. We're gonna flash it asap but we needed to know where it was before we started ripping the bike apart haha

Last edited: