Dumb Design: FZ Headlight Cover Buzz

Evan

It boggles my mind why they would assemble the headlight cover with so many pieces overlapping, uncoated. I know I'm not the only person here annoyed by the excessive buzzing of these parts; To me, it really cheapens the bike.

How did you solve this oversight? I'm considering foam weather stripping for now, before shipping these to China to have a solid carbon piece made.

-e

Larry P

Hi Evan, just get some weather resistant foam from a local hardware store and put it under the cowl. Should take 10 mins and $5. Yeah it might feel "cheap" but the FZ8 was made with budgets in mind. I don't have any other parts that buzz besides that cowl. Even my new kawi has a buzzy ignition switch (Ninja 1000). Still looking for a way to fix that one.

myklobe

You most definitely are not the only one... There are a bunch of forum posts on this already. Pretty much have to pick your battles. I used weather stripping I got from Walmart and it worked great. I also had a buzzing from my plastic tank cover... seems like the little rubber foot that touches the tank fell off, same solution.

Blackfin

I've got a Fazer 8 -- had it for two days now -- and noted a good deal of buzz from the plastic trim around the instrument cluster at certain engine speeds. Yeah, it's a lot of plastic bits free to rub and bounce off each other. Just got back in from taking the two large cowl pieces off and putting closed-cell foam strips in strategic places to quell some of it. I'll be back at it in the spring...

Evan

I have access to Carbon Fiber manufacturers. If I could get these pieces molded together, who would be interested in one? Of course pricing would be dependent on quantities, but it seems like we're all kind of just bearing with this inconvenience with a lack of complete resolution..

nightttime

I have access to Carbon Fiber manufacturers. If I could get these pieces molded together, who would be interested in one? Of course pricing would be dependent on quantities, but it seems like we're all kind of just bearing with this inconvenience with a lack of complete resolution..

This sounds interesting. Maybe you could talk to your people and get some ball park numbers? Say 3, 5, 10, 15, 25, 50, 200? Pricing from there? Not sure how many would pull through, but I bet if you get the ball rolling you might be surprised at the results.

Evan

So I looked into it and I could have these made and sold to the community at approx $150 plus shipping. Is that a reasonable price to you guys?

bgpietro

Hi..may i ask something..I want to buy xenon lights for my fz8,do you know some links where i can see them..and also if you know the type of lamp where i must buy..Thanks!