Does your FZ8 "nudge" when you rev with the clutch pulled in?

rail

Hey all, just picked my FZ8 up from the shop. The mechanic there noted that my bike shows symptoms of some clutch or transmission drag, specifically that it's somewhat harder to start the engine in gear, and also nudges forward when the engine is revved with the clutch pulled in (in gear). I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this behavior with their FZ8?

I haven't been too worried about it because other people on this board have reported some common quirks, like the stiff, notchy shifting action, and I feel like this could be a characteristic of that. But that's not based on any mechanical knowledge lol. Thanks.

Torbeach

Other than the clunk when kicking it into first gear I don't notice any lurching forward with the clutch pulled in or when trying to start the bike in gear. Maybe you just need to adjust your clutch lever. The instruction are found on page 7-22 of the owners manual.

The clutch lever free play should measure 10.0–15.0 mm (0.39–0.59 in). This is the amount you can move your lever before feeling any resistance and generally measured at the tip of the lever. To increase or decrease the clutch lever free play,turn the clutch lever free play adjusting bolt (the knurled wheel where the cable goes to the clutch lever) in or out until you have the correct amount of free play.

TheCommand

What year is your FZ8? Supposedly the 2013's may have had an issue with either too much or too little oil getting in the clutch basket and causing plates to stick together. I have a 2013 that I bought with 2500km on it that was sitting for 3 years. It has a sticky clutch, most likely from sitting and not moving for so long. I have the same symptoms as you. My bike will jump ahead and stall if I try to put it in gear before letting it warm up to at least 60 degrees C. I also have a pretty noticeable clutch basket rattle when sitting in place with my clutch lever pulled all the way in. I have 6500km on it now and I am noticing the clutch is sticking less, so I am thinking it may need to be 'abused' a little bit to break the stuck plates apart. It also works absolutely fine once it gets up to temperature.

rail

What year is your FZ8? Supposedly the 2013's may have had an issue with either too much or too little oil getting in the clutch basket and causing plates to stick together. I have a 2013 that I bought with 2500km on it that was sitting for 3 years. It has a sticky clutch, most likely from sitting and not moving for so long. I have the same symptoms as you. My bike will jump ahead and stall if I try to put it in gear before letting it warm up to at least 60 degrees C. I also have a pretty noticeable clutch basket rattle when sitting in place with my clutch lever pulled all the way in. I have 6500km on it now and I am noticing the clutch is sticking less, so I am thinking it may need to be 'abused' a little bit to break the stuck plates apart. It also works absolutely fine once it gets up to temperature.

I have a 2011. I bought it also at 2500 km (1500 mi); it now has 43000 km (27000 mi). Never sat for more than a month since I've owned it. After fiddling with it more, the lurch seems to go away when I've been holding the clutch for a few seconds. It hasn't gotten worse, so maybe it's not worth worrying about, just another FZ8 quirk... thanks