Dent in tank pulling - filler neck to tap it out

rug_burn

Anyone here ever pull off the fillerneck and cap from the tank? Some dickhead dinged my tank yesterday (when I was gone) but I think it will not be hard to tap it out with an appropriately shaped dowel. I wish I could have caught the guy doing it.
What I'm wondering is whether or not the nut plate at the top of the tank has captive nuts, and if it is permanently attached to the tank as well. Anyone know?

Last edited:

shaunone

I also have a dent in my tank and talked to the local Dentique guy about it. The gas cap does come off (captive nuts) but the inner portion of the tank remains. This makes it extremely difficult to get tools inside the tank due to the small opening. He said he would be unable to push out my dent from the inside, but might be able to use an external adhesive method. I just ordered a new tank...

rug_burn

I also have a dent in my tank and talked to the local Dentique guy about it. The gas cap does come off (captive nuts) but the inner portion of the tank remains. This makes it extremely difficult to get tools inside the tank due to the small opening. He said he would be unable to push out my dent from the inside, but might be able to use an external adhesive method. I just ordered a new tank...

Do you mean the inner portion of the filler neck remains, the part that has that restrictor for the unleaded fuel nozzle? I can't imagine getting a new tank for that dent - it's not much bigger than a quarter or so- maybe 1 inch in diameter...

How much was the new tank, and is it painted? (It would be nice, but I kinda doubt it)

BLAZEX09

Commuter
[/QUOTE]How much was the new tank, and is it painted? (It would be nice, but I kinda doubt it)[/QUOTE]

I`m sure you can get a better price than this, but I found this link for the fuel tank

Last edited:

shaunone

Do you mean the inner portion of the filler neck remains, the part that has that restrictor for the unleaded fuel nozzle? I can't imagine getting a new tank for that dent - it's not much bigger than a quarter or so- maybe 1 inch in diameter...

How much was the new tank, and is it painted? (It would be nice, but I kinda doubt it)

Yes, the inner portion remains, it's part of the tank itself.

New tank retail is around 700, including the new plastic side shrouds, double sided tape and fuel pump o-ring. Tank comes pre-painted and ready to install.

rug_burn

Yes, the inner portion remains, it's part of the tank itself.

New tank retail is around 700, including the new plastic side shrouds, double sided tape and fuel pump o-ring. Tank comes pre-painted and ready to install.

Thanks- that is a helluva lot more than this dent warrants- I just got a bullet hole sticker, and put it over the dent. It's okay- it kind of has the right attitude at this point. Now I understand why they make those stickers (hello).