Concept study in progress: Yamaha 850cc Adventure...

decooney

Concept in progress: Yamaha 850cc Adventure...

For those of you who like road and some offroad, wanting something lighter than the big Super Tenere, it appears the idea of Yamaha making an 850cc adventure bike is more than just an idea, the concept and online polls with mock up photos have already begun in graphic form.

Threads have been popping up over on advrider. Seems more than a few were already thinking about this and using the new FZ-09 platform for it. Makes a lot of sense. It would be a triple threat to the Triumph Tiger 800XC and BMW F800 if they do it. Hope they do it, would be great to see a more aggressive offroad type version on this all new triple platform. The more support for it the better. I put this in the BAR forum here just in case this seems off topic!

Reportedly these below are "computer generated' photo shopped photos to simulate what it might look like, who knows... More discussion and feature polls are over on ADVRider forum.

a.k.a "MT-DM 850 Luca Bar concept bike", or aka TDM 850. Quote" The basic idea is to add some fairing, beef-up the suspension, change the ergonomics a little and voila – The Yamaha MT-DM 850 is here.".

Last edited:

MotoZen

Can anyone else not see the picture?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

decooney

I can see the photo from my regular computer, but not from my portable phone. Weird. Will try to repost a smaller reso version if it helps. The group who copied the photo was trying to block the hot link, but the photos are scattered at different sources. Hopefully you can see the white color version of it now.

Last edited:

MotoZen

I can see the photo from my regular computer, but not from my portable phone. Weird. Will try to repost a smaller reso version if it helps. The group who copied the photo was trying to block the hot link, but the photos are scattered at different sources. Hopefully you can see the white color version of it now.

I just logged in on my laptop and can see the images fine. That's strange. And that is a fine looking bike. I was ok with getting my FZ8 over the FZ-09, until this comes out.

decooney

I just logged in on my laptop and can see the images fine. That's strange. And that is a fine looking bike. I was ok with getting my FZ8 over the FZ-09, until this comes out.

The FZ-09 is here at dealers now. Looked at two of them again over the weekend at my local dealers. It's a light weight hooligan wheelie bike as compared to the FZ8 which is more like a heavier sport cruiser in comparison.
As much as I like the idea of an FZ-09 as an adventure bike, for road I still seem to prefer the FZ8 styling and little extra bulk just seems more substantial to me. If you wanna wheelie bike and to slalom between cones, the FZ-09 is it.

MotoZen

The FZ-09 is here at dealers now. Looked at two of them again over the weekend at my local dealers. It's a light weight hooligan wheelie bike as compared to the FZ8 which is more like a heavier sport cruiser in comparison.
As much as I like the idea of an FZ-09 as an adventure bike, for road I still seem to prefer the FZ8 styling and little extra bulk just seems more substantial to me. If you wanna wheelie bike and to slalom between cones, the FZ-09 is it.

I just compared the standard FZ-09 with the FZ8 and I agree with you. I prefer the looks of the FZ8 and am very happy with my bike. As a commuter, I don't see many advantages of the FZ-09 over the 8 that I would use. The upgraded suspension and the increased fuel efficiency would be nice, but this bike is still better on both accounts than any bike I've had previously. Sorry to threadjack: That adventure version does look tempting!

decooney

It's all related.

If Yamaha comes out with more of a standard adventure bike like pictured above, to start, will they come out with a "dirt" version like the Triumph Tiger 800XC.

With a 19 or 21" front wheel, raised suspension, skid plate, optional offroad lighting and nobby tires like this, I'd be all over it. Yamaha can do it, and if they do, the adventure 850cc version will be just as big of a hit as the road version. If they set it up like this Tiger 800xc, I'm in for sure!