Cambo Down!

cambo

Avid Rider
Hey gents! I guess I took one for the team and became the third forum member to eat it in our recent string of forum guys eating it! So you guys are all safe for now lolol. Oh yes, at about 50mph I got clipped on the highway by another car darting into my lane to avoid another car! VA police called it my fault for not waiting for the driver to execute a full lane change (both tires across the line) before trying to pass him...which is the purest of bullshits as I know I waited for him to get over and even watched the car that got up right on his ass and tailed him and thought "wow what a douchebag...". However I guess the driver saw the grill in his rearview mirror, panicked...and swerved back over...into me! Last thing I remember was punching his left mirror off with my handlebar, going over the handlebar, blacked out...and then i woke up in an ambulance with my helmet off. Anyway, ill give insurance my side of it...if that even matters now. I hope the police report isn't the final say. First accident ever...not sure how this goes...The driver and witnesses did do me a solid by reporting i wasn't being douchey i.e. speeding, "revving my bike", being aggressive etc. VA cop saw my skidmarks and confirmed this. Otherwise, the cop would've given me a reckless driving...which in VA is akin to an ass pounding by a black man. no lube.

Gear: I was in a full face, gloves, and jacket...thank goodness. i got lucky on my legs...i was wearing sweatpants and hi top basketball shoes. helmet is facked but will be a good reminder to always use a full face (and not the half helmet i'd wear when on the vstar). pretty sure my helmet was the first thing to hit the ground. Not a tear in my sweatpants oddly enough.

Damage to bike: visually not bad...but im waiting for the full report. I think the sliders i bought from mikeC saved it from being totaled. But im kinda hoping its totalled...wouldn't mind just writing this off and starting over clean slate.

Damage to me: Fractured right hand, bruised ribs, and very light road rash. I truly think God was helping out on this one...He's like, "Look 'tard...no more squidding...I'm gonna teach you a lesson...this'll hurt me more than it hurts you."

And lesson was definitely received. Wrecking hurts! lolol...don't want to do this again. You know how hard it is to wipe your ass with the other hand?? Have you ever gotten poo on your palm?? Its horrible!

For the future...only gauntlet gloves (left wrist has a little road rash), overpants at the minimum, and of course jacket and full face.

Attachments

• CAM00245.jpg
    CAM00245.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

FZ8Ryder

Damn sorry to hear one of the greats go down. That was a really shitty situation and that cop was a real a$$ for saying it was your fault. Personally I'd fight that. Glad to hear you came out of it okay. Sucks about the bike but definitely could have been worse. Hopefully it turns out in your favor. Get well soon!

cambo

Avid Rider
Damn sorry to hear one of the greats go down. That was a really shitty situation and that cop was a real a$$ for saying it was your fault. Personally I'd fight that. Glad to hear you came out of it okay. Sucks about the bike but definitely could have been worse. Hopefully it turns out in your favor. Get well soon!

ahaha really appreciate that man...im definitely one of the noob-iest on here so I'm not completely surprised or mad myself. I do know how I could've avoided it though...and I'm slightly disappointed in my reaction. I always imagined I'd backflip off and land on my feet haha nope..in reality i land headfirst and blackout lolol

FZ8Ryder

ahaha really appreciate that man...im definitely one of the noob-iest on here so I'm not completely surprised or mad myself. I do know how I could've avoided it though...and I'm slightly disappointed in my reaction. I always imagined I'd backflip off and land on my feet haha nope..in reality i land headfirst and blackout lolol

No problem. Haha "noob-iest" how? How long have you been riding motorcycles/the FZ8?
Everyone thinks of how they "would" react in those situations but when it comes down to it, it doesn't usually work out they way we would hope. Haha i would pay to see the backflip. :D

mikefz8

Very happy that it turned out as minimal as it was Cambo! Yikes...seems like cops always make the guy on a motorcycle the "scapegoat" load of crap if you ask me. Glad you didnt get run over!

thach1130

You know how hard it is to wipe your ass with the other hand?? Have you ever gotten poo on your palm?? Its horrible!

I'm sure everyone has experienced...one moment you're wiping and sudden the tissue tears.

Heal up and get back at it buddy.

DanS

Commuter
Damn Cambo I'm sorry to hear that. Glad you're going to be ok! And glad it wasn't any worse! What do you think you could've done to avoid it?...The bike doesn't look too bad from the pics.

RoadKill

damn! sorry you went down. there is always a bunch of idiots out there causing trouble. the bike and you don't look too bad, probably on par with that kind of wreck. get well soon man!

F3NIX

Holy crap! Didnt expect to reqd this today...thank god your ok man. I read your post the other day that you bought those sliders, everything happens for a reason. Get well and live vicariously through all of us. We appreciate you here in the forums, even more sense you took one for the team! I personally am very appreciative.

Get well :)

Sent from my phone

97audia4

Glad to hear you are relatively alright and have min road rash. Let insurance deal with bike don't even worry about that heal that hand up and do all the rehab needed no skimping out it will only hurt you in the end . No more jordans and sweatpants!!!!!

master paper clip

Nex time stick with te double gun and stop trying to be nice and quite ;) hopefully everything gets sorted fast and your not left hanging aroun waiting on shit

F

fz8kansas

Real bummer, at least it is near the end of the riding season and you will have plenty of time to heal. Good to see that your damage is minimal.
The idiot in the car probley did what all idiots do and take their foot off the gas and hit the brakes but you were already beside them and could not see that. Sometimes the best thing to do is to use that right foot and just acelerate a bit to fix the situation. But they do not think that way, oops there is a a problem so slow down and hit the brakes. Sounds like the cop could not figure out who to blame it on and picked you because you could not speak for yourself at the time. I hope it works out for you.

ssky0078

Speedy recovery my friend. Arnicare or Arnica Montana homeopathic cuts healing in half. I swear by it and it helped me after both my crashes

Bajaedition

Sorry to hear of the let down, hope you all the best with a speedy recovery and glad you are already up and around typing on the puter

cambo

Avid Rider
thanks everyone! really appreciate the encouraging words. I hope to get back on the 8 asap!

No problem. Haha "noob-iest" how? How long have you been riding motorcycles/the FZ8?
Just started this year on the streets man! fz8 was first street bike...but I did ride a bit of dirt for a while. are you at nellis dude? Go to S. Korea...its a blast!

I'm sure everyone has experienced...one moment you're wiping and sudden the tissue tears.
lmfao!!!! i hate when that "shit" happens...pun intended lolol

What do you think you could've done to avoid it?
Ah man...great questioin...I keep on replaying this in my head and it haunts me. Remember how I was thinking, "wow, what a douche for tailgating him like that..."? Why in the hell did I try to pass?! Why didn't I give them room to sort it out?? AHH so stupid, this isn't even defensive motorcycle driving...this is regular defensive driving!! OF COURSE someone was going to cut over...either him or the tailgater. Ive seen it so many times...but for whatever reason, I was thinking, "derrrr...hey that's not very nice of him to do that..." when instead I should've been thinking, "awwww shit, could get messy..."

ARRGGHH...cambo smash! so so stupid...

Speedy recovery my friend. Arnicare or Arnica Montana homeopathic cuts healing in half. I swear by it and it helped me after both my crashes

thanks doc! lll definitely look into that.

Last edited:

FZ8Ryder

Just started this year on the streets man! fz8 was first street bike...but I did ride a bit of dirt for a while. are you at nellis dude? Go to S. Korea...its a blast!

Okay that's awesome. I started on dirt bikes but that was 15 years ago.;)
Yeah I'm at Nellis. Nah I'm good without going to Korea.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Dang it Cambo. Dang, dang digggity dang it.

Knowing that you sometimes like to squid, I'm glad this wasn't one of those times. Your road rash isn't TOO bad, and Tegaderm will be your friend for sure. I definitely feel like it could have been worse, but having a fractured hand, I'm sure also is no picnic.

Anyways, it's been awesome having you around, focus on what really matters in all this, youre alive, be thankful!!

b-eock

Dang Cambo, I'm glad you're OK. I hope you heal well and hop back on the bike. Don't let the crash ruin your future fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4

Evad

Cambo, perhaps you could mod your toilet with fz8 parts into "hands-free 800cc ass-wiper"?

In all seriousness, hope you bounce back soon!

Primo87

That sounds like VA cops, I had a friend who went down on a CBR three weeks ago and wasnt as lucky as you. He shattered his leg and pretty much totalled his bike after hitting some gravel, and the cops followed the ambulance back to the hospital and gave him a reckless driving ticket.

I'm sorry to hear one of us go down but glad you were able to walk away from it. Best of wishes to you and hope you get better soon.