2013 FZ8 First Bike. Any tips?

Spike876

Hello all,

First I'd like to say hello and I'm happy to be apart of this community. I am a brand new rider and have taken the MSF course so I know the basics and have been riding to work and around town.
I am however short at 5'6" with about a 28"ish inseam so I'm tippy toeing the bike with both feet on the ground.
I want to lower it and would love a couple suggestions as to lowering links as well as aftermarket kickstands.
Also what is everyone getting in terms of MPG's citywise. I feel like I'm using more gas than I should be.

CrescentBunny

Hello all,

First I'd like to say hello and I'm happy to be apart of this community. I am a brand new rider and have taken the MSF course so I know the basics and have been riding to work and around town.
I am however short at 5'6" with about a 28"ish inseam so I'm tippy toeing the bike with both feet on the ground.
I want to lower it and would love a couple suggestions as to lowering links as well as aftermarket kickstands.
Also what is everyone getting in terms of MPG's citywise. I feel like I'm using more gas than I should be.

First of all, hello, welcome, and nice to meet you. I bought a 2011 Fz8 2nd hand myself just a few months ago as a first time rider fresh off the MSF too! Im also 5'6" and having the same issue. I've been getting about 50-52mpg in my short little jaunts to work. I've been out on one long 100 mile ride and it seemed better even though I was mountain crawling - it was about 56mpg. I felt like I was at the gas station all the time but after tracking it for a few weeks it wasn't as bad as i thought. There's some talk of lowering kits in older threads on here just give it a search. I've had my eye out as well but a lowering kit is a bit farther down my list. If I get one I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Keach

I can't offer any advice on lowering the bike, but if I recall when my bike was stock I'd get about 42 mpg. After an ecu flash it might have dropped a little cause I get into it more at about 38-40mpg. I've never got 50+ on it. Used to get 50 on my yzf600r tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my advice will suck too as i'm 6'2" and 210lbs....but i had installed a late r1 shock with satan666's adapter... makes it perfect for me to sit on - i'm sure they make a lowering kit...you just dont see many guys looking for one for our machines.
as for MPGs.....dont know - i'm way too throttle happy to care. ride safe -

Mikz86ta

The Satan adapter and R1 shock will raise it a little.
I'd get a shop to help u set the sag and pre-load first.
Then get a link kit if needed. Lust makes a good step. Just found out myself about the Soupys

A side note. I have the R1 shock and Satan adapter. I'm 5'11" and 180ish. I plant on the balls of my feet pretty stable. My girl is 5'3". She has an R6 2014 that we had lowered 2". She does well but not flat footed. She learned in it stock height and had to manage. From that experience, she has learned to ride and be stable at stops being short legged. She has also rode my FZ8 and managed it OK.