killed my first deer yesterday

hypo

i was doing about 55 behind my buddy's cruiser on the way home and the deer decided right then she needed to cross the road.... right there between those 2 motorcycles. didnt see it until it crossed the white line and it was going pretty fast. came off the gas and was starting to aim for where the deer USED TO BE but there wasnt enough room. caught her right in front of the back legs.

i landed in the middle of the road. bike went further. i forced myself to roll to the side of the road. havent seen my bike, but my buddy said my new saddlebags look fine. tailpipe and frame sliders saved it. gonna have him take off all my goodies for me and save em for my next fz8.

ATGATT. tore some life out of my leather jacket, bruises and small rashes, but other than bruised ribs (probably cracked - it hurts to sneeze/breathe deep/laugh) and a sore shoulder i am whole.

i went about 20 feet past the deer, and the bike went 30 feet past me

love my frame sliders!

stock can slider:

a little deer:

a little cockeyed:

and a little headrash...

Me lying on the ground:

Deer on the side of the road (bad parts blurred out)

Deer on the side of the road GROSS PICTURE DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE GUTS!!!

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Glad you're here typing about it! Kudos for ATGATT!!

Post some pics of the bike when you are able to... If that stuff saved it, you won't need a new FZ8, will you? ;)

Heal fast and ride soon.

C

Camo

Jesus Hypo! Sounds pretty hectic...Glad you were gear'd up and had the road sense to aim away.
Guess you'll have time to research and buy new gear now lol.
Hope you have a speedy recovery mate.

SpunkyTheTuna

Deer are like giant rats with antlers. Glad you survived without more damage. Did you at least get to keep the deer you killed? They are tasty critters.

hypo

more pictures:

this is what frame sliders that WORK are supposed to look like after proper usage:

I had on a pair of really thick DICKIES pants... and here are my knees:

My forearms both looked like this:

My leather jacket looked good except for a tear in the stretch panel on one side:

which probably came from when whatever hit me in the ribs hit me...

Last edited:
C

calscrazy

glad you are ok. if you need anything gimme a shout. few hours away but prob the closest to ya.

Künstler

Get well soon....:(...I dont want to imagine that crash without helmet...You must be lucky...

Wish you more lucky days..

Celal

JTB

Pillion
I wish you a speedy recovery. Glad you and the bike made it out okay. Hope she is reparable and you'll be back on her in no time.

My first near incident was with a deer. Stupid animals should wear high viz!!

matt73

Glad you are ok mate. Well done on the safety gear. I have mates that don't wear it. Not sure why.

SpunkyTheTuna

Now's your chance for that carbon fiber front fender and R1 forks. And maybe a Akra full system, too. And a nice new RF1100 to boot.

hypo

definitely covered for accessories. new leather jacket, helmet, gloves, mirrors, frame sliders, ASV levers. comparing the RS-1 from Bell with the RF-1100 right now.

C

calscrazy

i have a friend who swears by bell helmets. i can just about gaurantee nobody crashes more than him.

DownhomeMoto

Hypo sorry to hear... did you get any pics of the deer... ATGATT FTW... I have a stock pipe, handle bars and mirrors, they are yours if you need them...Jay

I'm assuming your bike is going to be fixed....

hypo

pictures and the estimator today. we shall see if I get a new 2012 FZ8 or my bike gets repaired... wonder how they caculate that...

/me goes to NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2011/Yamaha/FZ8-779cc/Standard-Equipment

5440 low retail, 7160 Avg retail... hmmmm...

I never did see the deer after he peeked up under the left side handlebars at me and I went flying. I know all the police were talking about it - taking it home for jerky or whatever. they had me strapped to a backboard pretty quick. lot of slow motion going on...

----------------------------------

they totalled out the bike. gave me a check for a new helmet and leathers and told me I'd hear something soon about the bike. my dealer of choice doesn't have the '12, but the one down the street does... so I'll focus on rehab and wait for the 12 to come in. :)

Last edited:

FZER

Avid Rider
That's a crappy way to get a new bike bro, however thank god you are alright. Take care man. Can't wait to see you get the new gear and start modding the new bike.