The Official Word on Rotella and JASO MA

AlCab

So as you know, our owner’s manual calls for oil that is JASO MA compliant. Rotella seems to be a popular, low cost alternative to motorcycle oil and they say JASO MA on the container but when I look at the list of JASO MA certified oils, Rotella is not on the list. Here is a link to the list.

http://jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Note that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Motul, and Castrol are among those on the list.

So I emailed Shell just now to ask about Rotella and got the immediate response below. That settles it for me - I will use the Rotella T and T6 on my 8.

BTW, my mechanic tells me to wait until 3000 miles to switch to synthetic. He has an impressive resume so I am going to follow his advice.

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

My email to Shell:

Hi,

My 4 stroke street motorcycle requires oil that meets JASO MA
requirements/specifications. Does your Rotella T 15w40 and Rotella
T6 5W40 meet all JASO MA requirements/specifications? I see that you list
JASO MA on the container yet when I look at the list of oils certified by JASO
MA (attached), Rotella T or T6 is not on the list.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Al

Their response:

Dear Sir,

Both Rotella T 15w-40 and Rotella T6 5w-40 meet the performance
specifications for JASO MA and DH2. We have tested both oils and
warranty them for use in these applications. We do not, however
license these products through JASO.

Best Regards,

Shell Technical

Last edited:

Marthy

I used Rotella T6 5W40 on my ride for quite some time without any issue. I swap to 20W50 bike oil since it get so hot here in Florida in summer time. Just to be safe... and my ride got 35K now and spin 6-7K on freeway (70-80 MPH)

lance2448

I used Rotella T6 in my SV650 for about 2 years, no issues in AZ heat.

The FZ8 seems to get a bit warmer, so I'll probably not use it anymore.

xtasysids75

rotella t 15w40

So as you know, our owner’s manual calls for oil that is JASO MA compliant. Rotella seems to be a popular, low cost alternative to motorcycle oil and they say JASO MA on the container but when I look at the list of JASO MA certified oils, Rotella is not on the list. Here is a link to the list.

http://jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Note that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Motul, and Castrol are among those on the list.

So I emailed Shell just now to ask about Rotella and got the immediate response below. That settles it for me - I will use the Rotella T and T6 on my 8.

BTW, my mechanic tells me to wait until 3000 miles to switch to synthetic. He has an impressive resume so I am going to follow his advice.

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

My email to Shell:

Hi,

My 4 stroke street motorcycle requires oil that meets JASO MA
requirements/specifications. Does your Rotella T 15w40 and Rotella
T6 5W40 meet all JASO MA requirements/specifications? I see that you list
JASO MA on the container yet when I look at the list of oils certified by JASO
MA (attached), Rotella T or T6 is not on the list.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Al

Their response:

Dear Sir,

Both Rotella T 15w-40 and Rotella T6 5w-40 meet the performance
specifications for JASO MA and DH2. We have tested both oils and
warranty them for use in these applications. We do not, however
license these products through JASO.

Best Regards,

Shell Technical

i'm still in the break-in (less than 600 miles) and would like to stick with a oil that is not synthetic. which rotella have you used during break-in? and how did it work out for you? i would like to use rotella t 15w40 for the break-in.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Maybe one day, people will do research on how bike motors are "tested" from the factory before it's even in a bike..... Then they will make their own assumptions about why the dealerships have "break in" periods.....

9 Lives

Maybe one day, people will do research on how bike motors are "tested" from the factory before it's even in a bike..... Then they will make their own assumptions about why the dealerships have "break in" periods.....

Yip, most bikes are "put through their paces" at the factory at full throttle and rpm long before you get it. Most of the brake in is already done, too late for you to baby it for break in reasons. Just watch the twist the throttle series.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Hard breakins?

Having spoken with several BMW engineers on the topic (yes, the ones who actually design the engines...)

DON'T DO IT.

Each engineer said the same thing: Be gentle, but vary your speed through the entire range you intend to drive/ride.

The reasoning is simple: yes, you need pressure to wear in the piston rings, but you also have bearings, gears, chains, sprockets, pumps, and other systems that need to be bedded in. Ever opened up your oil filter after your breakin period? LOTS of shavings in there.

In a nutshell: opinions are like assholes, and the bad advice on that website sure matches.

9 Lives

This is from an artical written about a tour of the Ducati factory, from what I have seen from other videos ect most manufactures do the same thing.

"And then, the engine is fired up – a bike that was just pieces in a box a couple of hours ago now springs to life and its full 200 horsepower are unleashed on the dyno in repeated power tests.
You might choose to run your engine in gently, babying it like the book says, but I can verify that this man has given it an absolute gumboot full and taken it to redline several times before it even went in the crate."

Skiman

After the 600 mile break in period I switched to the Rotella T and have been running it since in my 012. I've run the Rotella in three other bikes without any issues however, my next change I'll be going with the T6 (full synthetic)

eru000

Is it safe to use rotella t 15w40 on my 2012 fz8? It's got less than 600 miles right now

My non-expert opinion is that it should be fine. I wouldn't use it if you plan on starting the bike in weather less than 50degF or so... If you do, I'd probably go with 10w or 5w instead.

OdinSon

I just started running it and its good so far. Engine warms up much quicker which is nice because its only in the mid 40's for the rest of this week here in NH.