New FZ8, first 600 mile oil, filter change

FZ8Hawaii

Hi anybody out there with sound advice if its really needed for the bike to go back to the dealer for 600 mile oil change. I have been riding and maintaining motorcycles for a long time and want to do the oil change on my new FZ8. The sales person told me that there was a rev limiter on the engine for break in and that needed to be removed! Has anyone heard that before?
Its more of the hassle to get the bike all the way to the dealer than it is the cost they would charge me for the service.
Also has anyone switched over to Amsoil for their fist change?
Thanks for any good advice.

bobbyb

Rev limiter? Wind it up and see if it cuts out. Mine doesn't.
300 kms on mine, changing oil this week. What filter are you guys using. Got 2 K&n 204 for $14 each canadian. Will go one more round of mineral base oil and then full synthetic. Sound good?
B

FZ8Hawaii

Oil filter

I went to a dealer looking for a alternative to the stock oem filter for a 09FZ6. Was told I could save a bit of cash and buy the HIFLOW HF204, just used it on my new FZ8. Don't really know if a few dollars savings over the oem filter is really worth any problems down the road with my FZ8, but was told the HIFLOW were good filters.

H

Hoover

Rev limiter :bs2::bs2:
Sounds like a scam to get you back in. They know that you won't risk red lining it with 600 miles on it.
Change it your self, use regular motorcycle oil for the first 2 changes to flush out all the crap thet comes off new motors, then switch to full synthetic.
Keep all your receipts and write it in your owners book.

FZ8Hawaii

Thanks Hoover

Darn, I put the good amsoil in the bike yesterday, ready to head to work on it now. I sorta jumped the gun and did the first oil change before I posted anything on this site.
Well I guess I just waisted the money on the amsoil, since I will change the oil again soon.

glockman39

Hi anybody out there with sound advice if its really needed for the bike to go back to the dealer for 600 mile oil change. I have been riding and maintaining motorcycles for a long time and want to do the oil change on my new FZ8. The sales person told me that there was a rev limiter on the engine for break in and that needed to be removed! Has anyone heard that before?
Its more of the hassle to get the bike all the way to the dealer than it is the cost they would charge me for the service.
Also has anyone switched over to Amsoil for their fist change?
Thanks for any good advice.

What a crock of crap. The dealership wants to charge you a small fortune for labor to change your oil. I did mine in about half an hour, with filter change.

FZ8Hawaii

Oil change

Oh yah, changing oil and filter is very simple, just wish I waited for the second oil change before I switched to Amsoil.

Fazerboy66

Rev Limiter!!

Its no wonder riders steer clear of dealerships, especially when they come out with crap like that! Its easy to how people can get regularly duped into paying for excessive service charges. Dealerships should know better, its looks like the one here is now going to lose another customer - douche!!
I feel very lucky to have grown up with a Dad who was a professional mechanic and taught me in the dark ways of the spanner (wrench)
I still however need dealerships for the really big jobs, but basic servicing I'm more that capable of doing myself.
Still its a very good lesson for life there are always going to be people out the ready to take your money and rip you off, so the best way to combat these scumbags is to do your homework, failing that get on these forums and ask.
Knowledge is power and ultimately cheaper running costs...

myklobe

Strangely enough, I haven't had that bad experience at my dealership. They talked about the importance of the oil changes and routine maintenance, but never tried to pressure me to come in to their shop to do all the service.

If you are capable, follow the manual's recommendations and do it yourself (and keep the receipts and logs).

I personally went semi synth Lucas Oil at my 600 mile oil change (it was on sale), then Mobil 1 full Synthetic at 1000 miles. I don't think it matters just as long as you are changing it in the intervals suggested for your region.

Welcome to the FZ8 family!!