Unbelieveable oil change

FZER

Avid Rider
Well a simple oil change turned into needed a new oil pan for me this weekend. My drain plug was on over 80 ftlb. I wasn't able to get it to loosen at all, but I ended up getting it tighter and snap all the treads popped. I called the dealer and trailered the bike up there and explained what happened to the dealer. Then I showed them what was left of the oil filter after I had to go out and buy a vise grip oil filter remover. They are replacing the pan, gasket, and plug for the cost of the first inspection.

Who's responsible for tightening the drain plug and filter in the first place? The dealership or Yamaha?

Man I'm so happy that the weather has been sucky the last couple days or I really would be peeed. I mean I'm of course really responsible for all of this, but I can't believe that someone would put both the plug and filter on that tight.

Last edited:

my drain plug wasnt that tight but when i did my 2nd oil change (dealer did the first one)the oil filter was on super tight so tight that when it finaly came off it was all dented ... i also had to stop the doing the oil change go to the store and buy the oil filter remover that goes on the end of a ratchet cause the normal oil filter wrench wouldnt grip the filter any more!

lothodon

Super Moderator
it's always been my observation that the oil filter tightens a LOT over time. if you follow the rule of hand tighten then 1/4 turn it feels like it's going to fall off but come oil change time it's near impossible to get off.

i never try without a "socket".

C

calscrazy

+1 to what lothodon said

many props to you FZER you are taking it alot better than i would!!

H

Hoover

Super easy filter removal trick. Put a drain pan under the filter, get a long phillips screwdriver and drive it through the filter near the base. Hit it through both sides and let the oil drain out. Then use the screw driver as a lever and turn the filter loose.

lothodon

Super Moderator
That was my Harley method as well. I find having hot oil run down my hand while turning is reason enough to spend the $5 for a filter socket.

FZER

Avid Rider
+1 to what lothodon said

many props to you FZER you are taking it alot better than i would!!

I'm alright now, but Saturday when it happened I was actually in tears. I was thinking it was going to be close to $1000 to get fixed. I had made plans to ride to an Imax theater 50 miles away, those plans got canceled. But me getting that upset was a combination of breaking the bike, my Dad passing away Dec. 29th, and my bad disk in my back. I was a mess, but when the service manager, Frank at Yamaha of Bryon, GA, told me that I didn't need to worry that he would do everything at cost and no labor charges, it made it a lot better.

I did find out that the bike comes from the assemble line with oil and filter already installed, so not my dealerships fault.

Travis

You could just buy these

packnrat

sounds like the installer was not in a good mood, must have just been told has to work over time that night...and it was friday.

over the years i have used many a way to remove a filter, three different special "strap" wrenches. screw drivers, and locking jaw pliers.
some filters on so tight one would think they were welded on...some so loose they almost fell off.

hypo

I always get an adjustable wrench, crank it way open and destroy the oil filter when taking it off. I used to do the screwdriver trick until I found out that some companys use straight paper inside, and all I did was screw off the endcap peice. that oil change was on my gmc pickup and I never went back to that place again.

FZER

Avid Rider
I was told it comes in the crate with the oil already in it. I've had the bike back for a week now and no issues. Thank you Frank at Yamaha of Bryon. Shell Rotella syn and a Wally world supertech filter! $24 and still have something like a quart of oil left.

BunGhoLeo

My drain plug was a tad tight, but no problems getting it off. As for filters, they usally untighten easier when cold, so before you warm up the engine to change the oil, loosen the filter first.

socal

You guys, so this is how I do it, why it gets so tight is the gasket swells over time causing more pressure on the threads more friction and impossibility of getting off. So to prevent this when you put a filter on oil the gasket with a lil of the enging oil then screw it on hand tight, next unscrew it 1/8to 1/4 turn, this give room for light explanation while still being tight and sealing while making it easier to take off next time.

OdinSon

When I have issues with an oil filter I use a large pair if channel locks and crush the SOB and twist until it submits to my will. Which is always does.